Joe Cokanasiga scored two tries in a comfortable win for England, which saw the first red card of the tournament dished out to John Quill for a dangerous challenge on Owen Farrell.

David Ainuu hobbled off just three minutes in to the match for the USA after picking up an injury. This was a bad sign for the teenager, who had to be helped off the pitch. The teenager is seen as a very bright prospect for the US and coach Gary Gold will be hoping that he will be available again very soon.

George Ford’s try on the five-minute mark made matters work for the US, with England’s number 10 having all the space in the world to get to the try line. He converted his own try in front of the posts to put England 7-0 ahead in the early stages.

England didn’t really mount any pressure until 20 minutes later, when a tussle on the left hand side resulted in Billy Vunipola touching down to score England’s second try. This was converted by Ford, who was playing very well in this match. Exeter Chiefs’ Luke Cowan-Dickie scored England’s third try, although the conversion was missed. Despite this, England were firmly in control at 19-0 with five minutes to go before the interval.

Jonathan Joseph’s brilliant run in the second half was capitalised on by Joe Cokanasiga, who scored England fourth try before the 50th minute. A second consecutive conversion miss by George Ford kept the score down to 24-0. Ruaridh McConnochie got himself in and amongst the action with the fifth try of the match for England after some patient build up play. A brilliant conversion from the right hand side ensured that England took the maximum seven points.

However, England were not done yet. Lewis Ludlam managed to get free on the left to put England 36-0 up, before Ford added another two points. England also gained a numerical advantage with over 15 minutes to go, when John Quill’s shoulder dangerously collided with Owen Farrell’s head. This deliberate action gave referee Nic Berry no choice but to show a red card to the USA man.

England made the most of this advantage by scoring another try shortly after. A long determined run from Cokanasiga allowed him to score his second try of the game. Another conversion from in front of the posts took the score to 45-0, with England in an unassailable position.

The final try of the game was the USA’s first. Campbell’s try after the 80th minute mark was converted by AJ MacGinty, with the game finishing 45-7 in England’s favour. England face Argentina in their next game on 5th October in Tokyo, whilst the USA play on the 2nd against France.

England Starting Lineup: Daly, McConnochie, Joseph, Francis, Cokanasiga, Ford, Heinz, Marler, Cowan-Dickie, Cole, Launchbury, Kruis, Curry, Ludlam, Vunipola.

Tries: Ford (converted), Vunipola (converted), Cowan-Dickie (not converted), Cokanasiga x 2 (1 converted), McConnochie (converted), Ludlam (converted).

USA Starting Lineup: Hooley, Scully, Brache, Lasike, Iosefo, MacGinty, Davies, Ainuu, Taufete’e, Lamositele, Landry, Civetta, Lamborn, Quill, Dolan.

Tries: Campbell (converted).

Final Score: England 45 – 7 USA

Referee: Nic Berry

Stadium: Kobe Misaki Stadium

As it stands: Pool C

1st: England – Played: 2 | Points: 10

2nd: France – Played: 1 | Points: 4

3rd: Argentina – Played: 1 | Points: 1

4th: Tonga – Played: 1 | Points: 0

5th: United States – Played: 1  | Points: 0