In a must win clash for the Ospreys if they are to stay within European contention, they faced bottom of the table, Treviso on Friday night in the Pro12.

The Welsh side were firm favourites going into the match at the Liberty Stadium, and quickly showed why they were, going in front after eight minutes. Ospreys full-back Dan Evans broke two weak Treviso tackles and bombed over the line, with Dan Biggar converting.

Minutes later Treviso full-back Jayden Hayward kicked over a penalty, before No.8 Dan Baker quickly added the home side’s second try, dabbing down following a strong maul. Biggar added the extras.

Stu Forster/Getty Images Sport

Shortly before half-time, Ospreys captain Rhys Webb came within centre-metres of touching the ball down for another try, although from the resulting attack, the ball worked its way to centre Owen Watkin and the youngster powered over the line. Biggar maintained his 100% record from the tee with the conversion, sending Ospreys in at the interval with a 21-3 lead.

With two men in the sin-bin after the second-half started, Treviso were down to 13 men, and Ospreys made the Italians pay. Webb took a quick tap on the visitor’s five and delivered a killer pass to young flanker Olly Cracknell, who found a gap to punish the undisciplined Treviso for the bonus point.

After 56 minutes, Ospreys were out of touch when Hanno Dirksen finished off an outstanding counter attack from Welsh trio Webb, Biggar and Lydiate. However, Biggar missed his first kick of the day.

Richard Heathcote/Getty Images Sport

Treviso snatched back a try on 66 minutes, when Alberto Sgarbi broke through, and Hayward converted.

Although, it counted for nothing, as in the last five minutes, Ospreys’ Evans added his second try of the day before substitute Ben John crossed the whitewash for the final say on proceedings, with Biggar converting both tries.

Ospreys: Tries – Evans (2), Baker, Watkin, Cracknell, Dirksen, John. Cons – Biggar (6).

Treviso: Try – Sgarbi. Con – Hayward. Pen – Hayward.